Wednesday 23 June 2010

Neither Sex nor City

I have been watching way too much Sex and the City recently, and it has made me very pensive about my impending future. In ten years I will be in my thirties... ten years ago I was only just getting out of my first decade. Obviously I imagine every girl thinks that she is the Carrie character, the fashionista with cute flaws and little luck with keeping men (though good fortune in finding men), a self indulgent let’s write about my life, and actual success in doing so. The truth is, I really do think this is me – except I’m 21, and despite my wit, am seriously lacking in the ‘ex’ department except a handful of puppy love and failed crushes and one huge heartbreak, also I can’t see my little blog-ettes really taking off and being turned into either a) a column or b) a book, let alone c) inspriring a tv show and 2 films... Is this me lacking self confidence? Or am I just a realist...

So my dream is Carrie, but maybe its better in reality to be Miranda – the career woman who’s really independant... this is going to be my new aim. The sad thing is that before the [much] aforementioned heartbreak I used to be the Charlotte character, innocent, naive, believing in love and marriage and soulmates etc etc. Sadly I have never been the Samantha character...yet.

This week I told off a 3 year old French boy and felt really good about myself, I also sleep-shouted “what happened to you?!” at my roommate, poured fruit juice on my cereal, and laughed out loud when i saw at work when someone came from Espoo (POO) – Finland. I think perhaps my dreams of the glitzy-glamourous 30 something independant and sexually active, stylish woman with a successful career in media is a massive, unachievable dream for me. Afterall, I am me. And look at the last paragraph I’ve written... I am the silly clumsy cute funny friend. Doomed? Or just about original / weird enough to make a success of my random musings? Only time will tell...

Vex & The Katy

No comments:

Post a Comment